TAPSM's Textbook of Community Medicine is an attempt by the Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine (IAPSM) to meet the long pending need of a textbook which can give better clarity about the subject and cover topics which are relevant to the current needs and roles of medical students. This textbook is written in lucid and comprehensive language with many examples, diagrams, and tables to make it interesting. Many deadwoods and unnecessary detail of less relevant topics being taught for years are removed. Many newer topics are included to make it rational and relevant to modern needs.
• Published under the aegis of the Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine (IAPSM).
• This is the Collective effort of over 200 IAPSM members who are experts and teachers of community medicine and thus, aware about the needs and issues pertaining to community medicine teaching.
• Newer topics as per the current needs are incorporated.
• Textbook is giving better understanding, clarity of community medicine and its application in the context of expected roles of medical graduates.
• Order of chapters is arranged in logical flow with progression from basic understanding of the individual health and disease to understanding the community health and dynamics of diseases, and health problems in the community.
• Explains the principles and methods to manage health of the community through healthcare delivery system.
• Textbook is organized into 5 sections - Basics of Health and Diseases, Core and Allied Sciences, Community Health Problems and Vulnerable Groups, Community Health Management (Global), and Managing Community Health in India.
• Applied aspects of topics such as Epidemiology, Preventive Medicine, Social Medicine, and Community Medicine are covered clearly and adequately, along with relevant examples.
• Inclusion of newer topics pertaining to communicable and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) such as epidemiology of emerging diseases and its prevention and control, epidemiology of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and its prevention and control, screening and surveillance of NCDs, food safety, etc.
• Novel topics on community health care: Urban, Rural and Tribal Health; Travellers Health; Climate Change and Health; Global and National Health Status; Community Health and Managing it; Healthcare Delivery System; Health Management; Leadership; Health Legislations and many more are included which are not adequately covered in other textbooks.
• Use of most recent and up-to-date data to define the magnitude of the health problems.
• Case Scenario is provided in the beginning of chapters to give practical understanding of the disease from community perspective.
• Concluding Summary has been given at the end of each chapter for rapid review of the topic.
• Text is enriched with Boxes highlighting Historical Facts, Key Messages, Notes, Points-to-Remember, and Questions for last minute revision.
• In-depth understanding of the topics supported by illustrations, figures, tables, and flowcharts.